- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- Meal course
- Posted on
- December 7, 2015
Kambu (pearl millet), karupatti (palm jaggery),sevvazhai (red banana) are often used in authentic south indian dishes. This combination is a storehouse of iron and lot more essential nutrients, very simple to prepare. This sweet appam/paniyaram can become a healthy breakfast or a snack. But the colour is basically black because of the ingredients.
- Add 1/2 cup rice flour,1/2 cup kambu flour,1/4 to a 1/3 cup powdered karupatti,a pinch elaichi/cardamom powder,1 medium size ripe red banana (can add as per taste and amount needed).
- If karuppatti looks dusty, you can just liquify it with few teaspoons water and strain it in flour mixture.
- Mix it to the thickness of idly batter with water.
- Add a pinch of baking powder. Leave it aside for 5 minutes.
- Pour few drops of ghee and brush the holes of kuzhi paniyaram pan.
- Pour the paniyaram batter and cover it for around 20 minutes.
- This will not be too fluffy as usual paniyaram and takes time to get completely done.
- It will stay moist, just check the batter is not raw. Keep it simmer all the time to avoid burning.
- Paniyaram is done if the checking spoon/stick comes out dry.
You can have this healthy paniyaram with karuppati kaapi or sukku kaapi.
- To get a bit fluffy paniyaram, you can 1/4 cup maida instead of baking powder.
- If the greasing of ghee/oil is not proper, it will be difficult to turn the paniyarams. Should be patient enough to make it without getting broken.
- You can also use 1/2 part milk instead of water while making batter.