- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 1 people
- Meal course
- Main course
- Posted on
- December 2, 2017
Broken wheat or Daliya is a very healthy comfort food for babies. This is a simple sugar free recipe done in a jiffy in a pressure cooker.This can also be altered to be food for toddlers and adults by adjusting sweetness. Wheat can be added to babies after introducing rice and ragi probably.
- Add 2 tspn ghee in a pressure cooker in low flame. Add some raisins to it(brown or black).
- After few seconds, add 1/2 tspn of roasted almonds powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of broken wheat (Samba wheat rava) and toss it for 1-2 min.
- Now add 1 tspn of jaggery powder and 1/2 tspn of cardamom powder.
- Add 1 cup of diced apple to it.
- Bring it to a medium flame and add 2 cups of water.
- Allow it for 4 whistles and switch off.
- Smash the apples and give a quick stir to get uniform halwa.
- This yields almost 3 small cups of halwa/porridge. You can measure down or up according to the appetite of baby.
Check the consistency and adjust with hot water or thicken it a bit. This was just right for my baby Viv. Serve lukewarm immediately.
- You can also add dates puree or banana puree for extra sweetness and avoid jaggery if you dont prefer.
- For adults and toddlers, jaggery amount can be increased to 2-3 more tspn. You can even add thick cow milk,some more ghee and condense the halwa.