- Preparation time
- 90 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- April 25, 2020
Coconut milk honey agar agar pudding is one of the easiest desserts,lactose-free,healthy,tasty and has low calories. Goodness of coconut milk and agar agar make it a guilt-free dessert. This is really light to your tummy,aids in digestion after a heavy meal. Coconut milk and honey helps in boosting immunity. Agar agar sets even at room temperature within a short time making it kids-friendly,any season dessert too.
Note: My 1 cup equals 200ml.
- Soak 7gm of Agar agar sheets in 1 cup of water for 15 min till it blooms well absorbing more water.
- Meanwhile, prepare fresh coconut milk with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of warm water as needed. You can also use 1 cup of readymade thick coconut milk instead.
- Keep 1 cup of coconut water ready. It need not be tender coconut water only. I used the normal coconut water here.
- After 15 min, boil agar agar along with the soaked water in low flame for 5-7 min or until it completely dissolves.
- Immediately pour in coconut milk,coconut water into it along with 5 tspn honey. You can add 3-4 tspn of powdered sugar/normal sugar/brown sugar along with it as per taste.
- As honey is added, the colour will be slightly brownish. If you want pudding to be pure white, replace them with white sugar as per taste. Since I wanted to reduce the use of normal sugars, I went with honey. Honey gives a unique taste by itself to the pudding.
- Let it blend for 5 more minutes on low flame. Do not overheat or boil the mixture.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder,coconut essence or cinnamon powder for flavour. You can avoid it completely too to keep it more natural.
- Switch off from the flame, cool down a bit and pour it into the containers/mould.
- Cool it to room temperature and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- This pudding sets well in half an hour of room temperature too.
Enjoy the pudding chilled. You can add palm sugar syrup,maple syrup,coconut powder,powdered sugar or fruits as a topping. The end product will be firmer than a pudding that uses gelatin-which can be made creamy even. You can adjust the agar agar usage to 5-6gm to make it more wobbly.
- Vegan pudding can be made by replacing honey with any type of sugar.
- You can also use jaggery powder/pal jaggery powder replacing sugars, that gives brownish output as per the amount of use. That still holds the taste of coconut.