- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 2 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- May 3, 2019
Drumstick is a very healthy vegetable and used by South Indians in many gravies and curries. This drumstick soup or rasam is a simple,traditional using South-Indian ingredients and can be done so quick. This recipe is good for boosting immunity, remedy for cold and cough,helps in weight loss, rich in iron and other beneficial minerals.
- Use a long drumstick, not so matured. Remove the pulp and green pods inside and set aside.
- In a small pressure cooker (preferably 2-2.5 L), add the pulp roughly chopped, two ripe tomatoes chopped, pinch of turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook on high flame for 3 whistles, that should take approx. 5 minutes or less than that.
- Release the pressure and cool it down.
- Save some of the cooked drumstick pulp and grind the rest with 2-3 chopped garlic cloves smoothly.
- In a pan, add 1 tspn of butter or oil, fry 2 finely chopped garlic.
- Add the pulp, ground tomato mixture,1 cup of water, 1 tspn of pepper powder,3-4 roughly chopped curry leaves, adjust salt.
- Boil it in medium flame for around 5 minutes. It can be diluted with 1 more cup of water too.
- Remove from stove and adjust salt,pepper to taste.
- Serve it hot. Squeeze lemon juice from half a lemon as needed, just before serving.
This is a soothing soup that can be used as rasam, side dish for idly, dosas too.
- You can use more than one drumstick if it is so young. More matured drumstick can half tough pulp and sticks hence should be avoided.
- You can also add few small onions while cooking the pulp.
- You can fry some drumstick leaves in ghee and use it while boiling soup for the last 5 minutes.