- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- December 14, 2018
Bubur Injin is a famous Indonesian-Balinese Black rice pudding which became the favourite Bali food after my trip there. It is made with glutinous black rice,Pandan leaves,palm sugar and coconut milk predominantly. Due to unavailability of Pandan leaves so easily at my place, I wanted to try the pudding as per South Indian taste buds and give it a twist. Indian black rice pudding or black rice sweet pongal turned out equally tasty, healthy and Vegan.
Black rice or Forbidden rice has more fibre and protein compared to other rice varieties and pretty rich in Iron too. The nutty flavor gives it a exotic loveable taste.
- Rinse 1 cup of black rice 2-3 times and soak overnight.
- Add rice to the pressure cooker with 4 cups of water including soaked water too preferably if clean.
- Add 1 inch of cinnamon,2 whole cardamoms,1 big bay leaf torn,1/2 tspn of salt in the water.
- Close and cook it on high flame for about 15-16 minutes until you get 8 whistles.
- Meanwhile heat 1/4 cup of powdered palm jaggery or karuppatti along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Let it dissolve completely, filter it. You will need around 1/2 cup of thin syrup.
- Once the rice is done, let the pressure settle.
- Open and cook it on simmer (do not keep it too low,medium flame is fine) for approximately 15 more minutes until the extra water gets absorbed and you get a porridge like consistency. Occasionally stir the pudding.
- Make sure you do not burn the bottom.
- Immediately after you get the thickness, keep it in low flame. Add 4-5 tspn of palm sugar and 1/4 cup of palm jaggery syrup.
- Give a quick stir. After that is mostly absorbed, add some more syrup.
- Let it get cooked for 5 min totally after adding the sweet ingredients.
- Add cardamom powder,1 cup of first coconut milk finally and switch off the flame.
- Close the cooker and let the pudding settle down.
- Delicious black rice pudding is done.
Serve it warm with generous spoons of thick coconut milk or banana.
- You can adjust the palm sugar and jaggery levels as per your taste buds.
- Remove the whole cinnamon and cardamoms while serving if possible. Else eat carefully to avoid sudden spice bites !!!!!