- Preparation time
- 45 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 9 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- January 26, 2016
Sweet Kachori can be a rich and easy evening snack. It is usually made with ingredients like koya,milk,nuts and sugar syrup. I did not go for a very sweeter version but replaced the sweet part with Karamani and green gram,jaggery and coconut puran. The measurement here gave me 9 kachoris and 11 purans. It depends on the cup size and puran sizes can be matched as per kachori numbers.
This includes 3 parts- dough,pooran and sugar syrup.
- Mix 1 cup of maida with 1/3 cup of liquified ghee,few drops of gingelly oil, a pinch of salt,a pinch of turmeric powder. Add water little by little until you get a smooth dough, not sticky at all.
- If you want a more sweeter dough, use milk instead of water and add a tablespoon of sugar too.
- Leave it covered for 30-45 minutes.
- This puran is similar to that we do for a paruppu poli. No soaking of karamani or pachai payaru is needed.
- Take a 3/4 cup of karamani and green gram (combined). Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- It should not get smashed but just done. Drain the water completely and let it dry for few minutes.
- Grind them with 1/2 cup jaggery, 3/4 cup of scraped coconut,caradamom powder(elakkai) smoothly.
- No water is to be added. It will be non-sticky at last and you can roll into balls easily.
- Take a small ball of dough and press it with hand into a small disc. Keep a ball of puran in the centre and cover it without any gap or tear.
- Press it along the centre and make it to a small disc (again with hand). Puran should be well stuffed.
- Heat oil and fry it similar to poori. It would be good if it is more thicker at the centre.
- Do not worry if it does not raise fluffy. It will taste good if crunchiness retains. Keep it until it until the oil sound subsides and it turns brown.
- Drain it and serve hot. I had it along with some crushed purans. You can have it with sugar syrup poured on top or with sweet red sauce used for Kachoris.
- Take sugar as required as per the number of kachoris. For 2 kachoris, I used 4 tspn sugar, a little water,cardamom powder and 4 strands of saffron.
- Let it dissolve and thicken into a syrup. It will take approx 5-7 minutes.
- Pour it along with left over crushed purans on top of kachoris and enjoy.
- You can add powdered nuts instead of crushed purans
- A pinch of baking powder in the dough helps it to raise more easily