- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- November 14, 2020
Kavuni rice is a black coloured,fibre rich,one of the healthiest rice varieties consumed in southern India.Mostly used for dessert with a nutty flavour. This is a recipe based on traditional Chettinad sweet method with slight vegan additions.
- Soak 1 cup of kavuni rice overnight after washing impurities a couple of times.
- Next day, drain the water and pulse rice coarsely for 1 or 2 times roughly. Let it be good mix of nutty whole rice and smaller pieces.
- Add 2 cups water,1 cup thick first coconut milk,cardamom powder and rice in pressure cooker.
- Cook it for 3-4 whistles which takes 7-8 min.
- Meanwhile, crush palm jaggery for 3/4 cup or 1 cup as per sweetness preferred.Make a light syrup with 1/4 cup of water. Filter impurities.
- I used Sukku karupatti which is a mix of dry ginger powder and rocky palm jaggery. That gave an extra flavour.
- Once the rice is cooked,release pressure. In a medium flame, add syrup , cashew milk made with 10 cashews and 1/4 cup water. This gives a rich taste to the sweet.
- You can either powder cashews dry and then add water. Or soak cashews for few minutes and make a paste.
- Stir well , add 2 tblspn ghee or as needed and add 3/4-1 cup of coconut milk or water to thin the consistency.
- Rice will absorb more water in sometime. So it is better that Pongal is more soggy. Cook everything for 5 min in open cooker under medium flame to thicken a bit.
- Fry and add nuts and raisins of your choice at last.
Creamy kavuni rice pongal is ready within 15 min. Serve it warm or chilled. It gets a dark to light purple colour finally based on the milk additions.
- You can use jaggery or sugar instead of palm jaggery.
- Milk can also be added. I ground some rice to get more softer consistency and cook fastly. You can use the whole instead.
- You can add grated coconut also at last.