- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 13 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Main course
- Posted on
- February 25, 2021
Vegetable Thukpa is an easy nutritious one pot meal prepared in a jiffy. You can add in any of your favourite vegetables, healthy noodles and spices for a fulfilling soupy noodle bowl. It uses traditional Indian spices and very famous in North-east. This recipe uses simple household ingredients and a quick easy pressure cooker method.
- Add 1 tblspn oil in a 3L pressure cooker, stir ginger,garlic and onions in medium flame.
- After it is slightly softened, add cut mushrooms and toss well till cooked 3/4th.
- Add in long thinly cut carrot, capsicum(I used red capsicum here, add it with the seeds inside for extra heat),cabbage and saute a bit.
- Add the noodles cracked to fit in the cooker. I used Sorghum noodles. You can use any thin noodles like rice,wheat,any millet or maida ones whatever available.
- Add approximately 5 cups of water. You can add 4-4.5 medium cups for cooking and add later if needed post-cooking.
- Add in 0.5 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp coriander powder,0.5 tsp garam masala and 0./5 tsp chilli powder. Add needed salt.
- Cook on high flame for 3 whistles which took me around 5-6 minutes.
- Release pressure immediately. If not planning to do, you can switch off with 2 whistles and let the pressure settle.
- Now, in a medium flame, add 2 tblspn soya sauce, Paneer, spring onion leaves and coriander leaves. Adjust the spice powders if needed.
- You can replace paneer with tofu or avoid them altogether. It is for adding some good proteins.
- Let it boil, which takes around 3-4 min.
- Switch off and serve warm.
Thukpa is well consumed piping hot and good for flu.
- You can add any vegetable of choice that goes well with soup.
- Decrease the amount of noodles if you need more soup.
- If the consistency looks so thin for you, add in a tblspn of corn flour mixed in water without lumps, stir at the last stage after opening the cooker.