- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 25 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- April 22, 2016
Phirni is a Punjabi milk and rice pudding very easy to make. Even in Tamil Nadu we make a similar one called Rice kurunai payasam but this will be more rich and creamier.
I have made this Phirni with foxtail millet(Thinai) which has more fibre content . You will feel good if there is a diet factor even in a dessert to have it more. In addition, have added smashed carrots for a rich colour and distinct flavour.
- Peel and roughly chop 1 or 2 carrots depending on size.
- Grind it smoothly with half a cup of milk. Keep it aside.
- Since we use thinai, the difficult part is to remove impurities from it.
- We need to wash it many times to remove stones and other impurities until the water turns clear.
- You can probably soak it for sometime and wash it.
- Boil 500 ml thick milk and simmer it.
- Add 5-6 strands of saffron, 1 tspn of cardamom powder into the milk.
- After 5 minutes, add the filtered millet (thinai) of 2/3 cup into the milk slowly.
- Let it cook for some 10-12 minutes.
- Once millet is softened, add 3/4 cup of sugar.
- After it is dissolved, you can add the carrot paste.
- The whole mixture starts to thicken.
- But the consistency should be that of a thick flowy consistency.
- You can add Pacha karpooram(Borneo camphor added for the refreshing smell) a pinch at last.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool down to room temperature.
- You can have it immediately or refrigerate in smaller cups.
- It sets within 30 min and will be so creamy to have.
You can chop Badam / pistachio and decorate while serving.
- Adjust sugar and cardamom as per taste.