- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted on
- January 7, 2019
Saffron or Zafran masala tea is an easy, fragrant refreshing tea made with cardamom and saffron. It is famous in Mid-eastern region and I became addicted after tasting it a couple of times in Dubai. This is just not about adding saffron in tea but a bit more to it to bring out the flavour. This Arabic Masala tea blends goodness of saffron into the flavourful cardamom tea.
The below method gives approximately 3 medium cups of tasty saffron tea.
- Use thick undiluted creamy milk for this tea as that is the main component for the flavour.
- Boil 500 ml of milk for 5 minutes and simmer it for 5 more minutes till the milk cream/malai starts forming on the top.
- Meanwhile, boil 1/2-3/4 cup of water, 3 tspn tea leaves,10-12 strands of saffron and 2 crushed cardamoms for 5 minutes.
- Crush saffron strands well between fingers while adding it to tea water.
- Add 2 big cups of thickened milk into the boiled tea decoction.
- Simmer it for 10 more minutes. Let it raise and simmer a few times.
- You can add 3-5 more crushed saffron strands after adding milk.
- Make sure, the milk does not pour outside by stirring it often.
- Add 2.5-3 tspn of sugar as per the taste.
- Stir until it dissolves, filter it well. Add few saffron strands while serving.
Serve it really hot. This tea will have a dark, extra orangish tint due to fresh saffrons.
Boiling saffron in water,crushing it well before use,adding it to warm milk for sometime brings out the colour and flavour of it better.
- I strictly avoid white sugar and added sulphur-free Khandsari sugar. You can also use natural Brown sugar as per taste.
- Use dark red good quality saffron for getting the exact flavour. I used fresh Afghan saffrons for this.
- You can even add rest of the boiled milk and simmer the tea for 5-10 more minutes and get some more reddish tint. But the flavour with the above mentioned method is by itself will be refreshing.